Trident MD Press
Multi-Disk MD Press for efficient sludge dewatering
TheThe key to the Trident MD Press dewatering process is the “dewatering cylinder”. This cylinder can achieve thickening and pressing (dewatering) in a single integrated operation. The MD Press can take sludge as dilute as 0.1% solids directly from a treatment process, including and oxidation ditch or clarifier, and produce high solids cake. Separate thickening, storage and conditioning processes are eliminated. In addition, required operator attendance, power consumption and water use for operational wash-down are significantly reduced.
Image: The MD Press allows dewatering and concentrating of sludge from many industrial or municipal treatment processes. The all-in-one construction makes it a very compact and economical piece of equipment.
Image: Utilizing self-cleaning floating multi discs, the unit handles oily sludge without clogging and requires only small volumes of rinsing water which is applied through integrated CIP spray nozzles.
The Trident MD Press accepts a wide range of sludge types, including sludge from municipal sewage treatment. It is especially useful when processing sludge with high oil and fat content (FOGS) that would bind filter materials and clog the process. Some of the applications include:
- Waste activated sludge from municipal sewage treatment
- Wastewater sludge from remote camp operations
- Food processing and wash-down wastes
- Oil sludge from machining operations
- Wastes from textile processing
- Sludge from processed flowback water from oil and gas operations
- Sludge from tailings ponds for mining and oil and gas operations
- DAF float from animal manure and slaughterhouse waste
Prior to the dewatering cylinder, the raw sludge is fed into a mixing tank where a polymer is thoroughly mixed. The sludge then passes through a flocculation tank where gentle mixing and flocculation occurs. From there, the sludge is channeled into the dewatering cylinder for pressing. The entire operation is controlled by the Trident MD Press control panel.
The Trident MD Press is designed to be a fully automated system capable of starting up, operating and shutting down with no operator intervention. In addition to controlling the Trident MD Dewatering System itself, the control panel is designed to automate the polymer feed system, the unit’s sludge feed pump, as well as any conveyors required to remove dewatered cake. In addition, unit operating and alarm outputs for integration with the plant’s PLC/SCADA system is provided.
Features and benefits
Unlike traditional screw presses, the Trident MD Press is designed with a slow-speed, low wear screw that is located inside a multi disc cylinder assembly. This cylinder consists of fixed and moving discs which are held in place on tie rods, and separated by thin spacers. The moving rings are gently moved by the rotating screw resulting in a self cleaning effect that helps prevent clogging.
The MD Press cylinder assembly provides thickening (in the first section) and dewatering (in the second section) in a single process. Depending on the project requirements and plant process the filtrate and pressate can be collected separately or combined.
Some of the benefits include:
- Easy installation and fully automated operation
- Self-cleaning design for clog-free operation with minimal maintenance
- Automated CIP spray bar for efficient wash water use
- Requires minimal operator attendance
- Effective filtration processes can achieve more than 20% dry matter
- Low power consumption (up to 90% less than other dewatering technologies)
- Low noise and odor generation
- Built-in flocculation tank and mixer unit